Summer is just around the corner and a super easy and fun DIY watermelon keg is perfect for any party or barbecue this summer. Learn how to make it here!
What you need:
- 1 large watermelon
- Ice cream scooper/ large spoon
- Large knife
- 1 large bowl
- Small knife/apple corer
Step 1: Prep
- Wash the watermelon.
- Using the large knife, cut off a thin slice off the bottom of the watermelon in order to make it stand upright.
- Using the knife again, cut a circle at the top of the watermelon (same way you would cut a pumpkin to carve). Remove the “lid” you created and set it aside.
Step 2: Scoop
- Using a large spoon or ice cream scooper, scoop out the inside of the watermelon and place the fruit in the large bowl. (save this for later!) Pour out any additional watermelon juice into the bowl as well.
- Leave about 2 inches of fruit at the bottom to act as the base for the keg.
Step 3: Spigot
- Using the small knife or apple corer, cut out a small hole near the bottom, but above the base of the watermelon for the spigot.
- Cut until the spigot fits perfectly and place the spigot snugly into the hole.
- Place the watermelon keg in the fridge while you make the juice!
What you need:
- 1-2 cups of favorite spirit (vodka, rum, tequila, gin) (optional)
- 1/4 cup of simple syrup
- 1/4 cup of lime juice
- Mint leaves
Step 1: Blend
- Blend the watermelon and watermelon juice that was previously scooped out.
- Strain the blended juice over a pitcher.
Step 2: Add
- Add 1-2 cups of your favorite spirit. (optional)
- Add a 1/4 cup of simple syrup and a 1/4 cup of lime juice.
- Stir the contents in the pitcher.
Step 3: Serve
- Pour the juice into the watermelon keg and serve!
- Add a mint leaf to each serving for added color and flavor.
- Refrigerate the pitcher and refill keg when empty.